Monday, November 5, 2012

Rear Four Link Suspension Complete

I have finally completed the rear four link suspension. Before I started building it I designed what the dimensions of it were going to be in the SolidWorks program. I designed a system that would be relatively easy to build and yet provide me with enough movement for the 12 inches of travel I am going to have. Here is a picture of what the design I made up...

(Picture coming soon)

Next, I built up the brackets that the trailing arms were going to attach to using steel tabs I purchased from Poly Performance (link on the right) to speed up fabrication.


I then welded thick, strong steel bars on the back of the frame to provide mounting points for the brackets and also made mounting points on the chevy rear end to put the brackets on.


I then made the trailing arms out of 1 1/4 inch by .120 round tubing following the dimensions of the SolidWorks model and welded in the bungs from the four link rod end kit I bought from QS Components (link on the right) putting one left hand and one right hand bung onto either side to make for easy length adjustment.



Finally I screwed in the four link rod ends to the trailing arm and bolted the four into the brackets on the frame and rear end. Here's how it turned out.


No comments:

Post a Comment