Thursday, November 29, 2012

Front End Modification

Here is the Chevy 10 bolt front end I got, as shown in an earlier post. It needed some modifications done to it to accommodate the four link suspension and to lighten it up as the offroad buggy I am making is only going to be 2 wheel drive so the heavy 10 bolt differential won't be needed.  


The first thing I did was weld the front end to a jig made from some heavy steel tubing and angle iron and then cut out the differential. I made the jig first and welded it to the front end so when the differential fell away and the axle was in 2 pieces the alignment would not get messed up.


Then I took some thick steel tubing with a 3 inch inner diameter and placed it were the differential used to be and welded it to both sides of the axle.


After getting the front end back in one piece I made 8 brackets that will hold the four link suspension, 4 go on the front end and 4 on the frame. The brackets have 3/4 inch holes which will fit the four link rod ends I ordered from QS Components. (link on right side of page)


To mount the brackets I cut some thick rectangular steel tubing and 45 degree supports and welded them onto the axle in the locations specified by the SolidWorks model I made up for the front 4 link suspension. Then I welded the brackets I made onto the steel tubing at 30 degree angles.





No comments:

Post a Comment